Wednesday, 19 October 2011


The Ministry of Forestry RI had asked Uni Europe not to injure the agreement made between UE and the Indonesian Government on Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) following Malaysia’s plan to accomplish the same agreement.

According to the Director General of Forestry Business Development of the Ministry of forestry Business Development of the Ministry of Forestry Imam Santoso through VPA as follow up of, and required by the pre-condition of wood licencing by Europe Forest Law Enforcement Governance and Trade (FLEGT) Indonesia would have a privileged position in the European market.

 By that agreement, Indonesia applied the Wood Legality verification System (SLVK) on all products of the forestry industry. With SVLK label, Iman was quoted as saying, Indonesia’s wood products could enter the greenlane without inspection.

“They finally agreed that Indonesia’s legalization system is up to the standard and acceptable to Europe’s market. We also reminded Uni Europe not to injure the agreement, such as by accepting wood products of a country who were allegedly importer of wood products from Indonesia or claim a certain type of wood only available in Indonesia as their wood product. Europe also cannot reject Indonesia’s wood products” Iman disclosed.

Iman admitted that the negotiation process of this VPA-FLEGT had been going on for more than 7 year “This is good thing for Indonesian wood products which would be accepted in a number of Uni Europe states like Belgium, Italy, Spain, and Norway. Indonesia is the only country who applied VPA through SLVK” Iman stated.

The Director of Forest Product Processing and Marketing M. Firman disclosed that to prevent legalization of Indonesian wood by Malaysia, Indonesia had marked 48 HS products which were set for Europe’s market. Firman also said that today three were already 125 wood producers who applied SLVK and 30 units of HPH (forest management right) holders and Plantation Forest (HTI) permit holders.

Because SLVK certification was expensive, i.e. Rp 125 – Rp 100 million per unit, most small industries could not afford to obtain SLVK and enter Europe’s market. “Therefore the Government, with the help of independent institution like Multi Forest Program (MFP) facilitated SLVK certification for small wood industries; even if their production were only 1m3/day they could join the exporting spree” Fiman remarked.

SLVK would be officially be put in effect on February 2013 after ratification of agreement between the two nations from June to December 2012, at the moment trial-and-error process were underway. “The target was 75 percent of products would be SLVK-labeled by end of 2012, while the remaining 25 percent would be sold to other markets.   

No comments: